Most people don’t need an incentive to do something nice.
Well, we’re asking you to give again but this time the Mentor Public Library wants to give you something in return.
That’s right. It’s the return of the Can Your Fines food drive.
The way it works is simple: If you donate food (which we, in turn, will donate to the local food pantries at St. Gabriel and St. John Vianney,) then we’ll take money off the library fines you owe.
Here are the specifics:
- The food drive runs between Nov. 25 and Dec. 31.
- You get $1 off your fines for each nonperishable food item you donate. You can have up to $5 in fines waived this way.
- It’s only a 1-time offer, meaning you can’t come in every day between now and New Years, donate food and have $5 taken off the fines you owe. (However, you can absolutelydonate food as many times you want; but we can only take off fines the first time.)
- You can donate at any of the Mentor Public Library branches.
- Every patron with a library card, whether child or adult, is eligible to participate; but if your fines have already been turned over to a collection agency, then we can’t waive your fines.
During the Can Your Fines drive last year, you all donated hundreds of pounds of food that went to local families who needed it.
We hope to see that much generosity again this year.
If you have any questions about Can Your Fines, you can call the Mentor Public Library at (440) 255-8811 ext. 213.