Based on the powers vested in the Board of Trustees of the Mentor Public Library in the Ohio Revised code (Section 337540) and pursuant to the recommendations of the Board of Directors of the Ohio Library Association, the Mentor Public Library adopts the following POLICY OF CONFIDENTIALITY OF LIBRARY RECORDS:
The Mentor Public Library specifically recognizes that its circulation records and other records that link the names of library users with specific materials are confidential in nature.
No such records shall be released except to the individual cardholder, with the following exceptions:
- at the request of a parent, guardian or custodian;
- the production of some form of court order or in light of an exigent circumstance;
- the patron’s consent to the release of his information;
- for various administrative library purposes; and
- to document improper use of the Internet at the library so long as any patron information is removed from those records, (except for age or gender of an individual.)
In the case of a subpoena or a process of law, such process shall be transmitted to the Executive Director on behalf of the Board of Trustees. The Executive Director shall thereupon release such information in compliance with process or seek judicial or administrative relief.
When it becomes necessary for the Library to collect fines on or seek the return of library materials, the confidentiality shall be deemed waived with respect to such overdue fines or non-returned items.