Our Major Leaders of World War II series continued with a program about Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the longest-serving president in the country’s history.
Our speaker, John Foster—who, in addition to being a librarian, also has a doctorate degree in history—discussed:
• how his Roosevelt’s father’s illness contributed to his personality
• why someone tried to assassinate Roosevelt shortly after he was elected president
• his troubled marriage with Eleanor Roosevelt
• how he interacted with other world leaders like Churchill and Stalin
• the two biggest mistakes he made while in office.
If you enjoy history, the next talk in our WWII series will be at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 17, at our Main Branch. The subject will be Joseph Stalin.
Other historical talks by Foster can be watched on our YouTube page, including: