Some people, even adults, have no sense of what to do with their dollars.
That’s why Mentor Public Library is hosting a series of programs designed to help people make smart financial decisions. It’s called Money Smart Week and it runs from April 23 through 29.
“Money Smart Week is important because it gives people a chance to learn about different financial topics in a nonthreatening, impartial environment,” said Cailey Williams, the MPL reference librarian who organizes the annual series.
“A lot of the topics we cover are kind of intimidating like debt or retirement, and most people may not feel comfortable asking about them. Having the series at the library gives everyone the chance to hear from an expert on neutral ground, and ask any questions they may have.”
The programs include:
- Taking the Myth out of Becoming Debt Free at 2 p.m. on Saturday, April 23. Ken Howard from Primerica will explain credit scores, debt management, and help people develop a plan for a better financial life.
- Money Smart for Kids at 7 p.m. on Monday, April 25. It’s never too soon to learn about money. Children from four to eight can learn about spending and saving; and, then, make their very own piggy bank.
- Build your Credit and Savings in Good Time and Bad at 6 p.m. on Wednesday, April 27. Ohio Saves financial presenter Robert Houston will give real-world, time-tested examples on how to establish personal financial stability and freedom.
- Couponing 101 with Rachel at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 28. Rachel Krych, a stay-at-home mom turned couponer, shares her couponing secrets. Come to this class to learn couponing basics and start saving right away
- Retirement Planning Basics at 2 p.m. on Friday, April 29. Ease your road to retirement by planning ahead. Join a speaker from the Society for Financial Awareness as they discuss all aspects of retirement planning, from investments to income.
All Money Smart programs will be held at Mentor Library’s Main Branch. They are free to attend, though registration is required.
You can sign up on our event calendar or by calling us at 440 255-8811.