Are you ready to rock?
Summer Reading begins Thursday, May 24, at all of our branches. To celebrate, first, we’ll dedicate the new storybook walk outside our Main Branch. Then, ZAP Entertainment will offer a free magic show for kids during our kickoff party at 6:30 p.m.
Throughout the summer, we’ll host different programs with musical themes, including:
- A special program with the rock ‘n’ roll authors of Cleveland at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 20, at our Main Branch. Carlo Wolff, author of Cleveland Rock and Roll Memories, and Mike and Jan Olszewski, authors of Radio Daze and Cleveland Radio Tales will entertain with rollicking tales of Cleveland’s rock ‘n’ roll heyday.
- A throwback party for teens at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 30, at our Main Branch. Teens can jam to the hits of the 1980s, ‘90s and ‘00s, play retro video games and make sweet buttons.
- Compete in a family lip-sync battle at 6 p.m. on Monday, July 9, at our Main Branch.
- Meet rock ‘n’ roll photographer Janet Macoska at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 10, at the Main Branch. Macoska has spent for more than 40 years as concert photographer for some of the biggest names in music. Her work has been featured in the Smithsonian, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, and Grammy Museum. For this special multimedia presentation, Macoska will present rare images from her archives—combining iconic imagery with entertaining, behind-the-scenes stories.
- a chance to jam with Joe Gambitta at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, July 12, at the Main Branch. Kids can learn about music and get background on each of Joe’s instruments during an educational concert at the library.
- A hands-on introduction to the instruments of the orchestra with our friends from the Fine Arts Association at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, July 17, at the Main Branch. Kids from three to eight years old can learn about violins, cellos and more.
- A free concert with the Erie Heights Brass Ensemble at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 26, on the Read House lawn, which is next door to our Main Branch.
Additionally, we’ll host Musical Mondays at 1 p.m. each Monday from June 4 to July 23 at our Read House. Each week, we’ll offer different games, crafts and activities that tie into our Summer Reading theme, Libraries Rock.
All of the programs are free to attend, though some require registration. To sign up, call us at (440) 255-8811 or visit our event calendar.
Finally, everyone has a chance to win prizes when they participate in our Summer Reading program.
Children can win one of 32 different prize packages. And the more the kids read or are read to, the better chance they have to win. Children who read at least 20 hours will also be entered into a drawing to win one of two grand prizes—a $50 gift card to Target.
Furthermore, kids who read or are read to up to 15 hours will receive a Library Champion lawn sign and window cling.
Meanwhile, teens and adults can participate in Summer Reading too by both reading books and attending library programs. They can win gift baskets, including vouchers to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame or Beachland Ballroom & Tavern, discounts to local businesses, and passes to the City of Mentor’s pools and ice rink.
By the way, thanks to all of our generous sponsors who make our annual Summer Reading program possible.
For more information library programs that rock, visit our event calendar.
Finally, we’d like to thank all of the sponsors and donors who have contributed to our Summer Reading program, including:
- Adventure Zone
- All City Candy
- Atlas Cinemas
- Barnes & Noble
- Beachland Ballroom
- Busy Bees Pottery & Arts Studio
- Chip’s Clubhouse
- Cleveland Monsters
- Friends of the Mentor Public Library
- Lake County Captains
- McDonald’s (Mandovi Enterprises)
- Mentor Parks & Recreation
- Mentor Salt Cave
- Moe’s Southwest Grill
- Ohio State Fair
- Red Creek Bar and Grill
- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
- Rollhouse Entertainment
- World Wines & Liquor