Summer Reading 2014
May 31st through August 2
Summer Reading Lists
Not sure what books are on your summer reading lists? Here they are.
July is Know Poe Month @ MPL
Join Mentor Public Library at Atlas Cinema (on Mentor Avenue) on Thursdays in July from 7-9 pm to Know Poe. We will be showing 4 Vincent Price classic movies based on the works of Edgar Allan Poe. Registration is required and begins two weeks before the event. Underwritten by the Mentor Community Arts Commission. –Some images and sequences may not be appropriate for all ages.
Click on the appropriate link below to register or call the library at 440.255.8811, ext. 215 for more information.
July 24 - The Masque of the Red Death
Wii Wednesdays @ MPL!
Join us on Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00 pm for Wii Gaming competitions projected larger than life! Each week we will play a new game. Wii and Wiimotes provided, just come prepared to play! We will be meeting July 23rd and July 30th.
These programs are free and open to the public, but registration is required. These programs will be held in the lower level of the Main Library in the James R. Garfield Room. Register online or call the library at 440.255.8811, ext. 215 for more information.
ACT Prep Sessions
Come in on Saturday, September 6th and September 13th from 10 am – 12 pm to practice Exam Sessions for Students taking the ACT. Please sign up for each session separately. Registration begins August 18th.
This program is free and open to the public, but registration is required. The program will be held in the lower level of the Main Library in the James R. Garfield Room. Register online or call the library at 440.255.8811, ext. 215 for more information.
Recommended Teen Books
- YALSA Teens’ Top Ten - A “teen choice” list, where teens nominate and choose their favorite books of the previous year!
- Printz Awards - An award for a book that exemplifies literary excellence in young adult literature.
- The Ultimate Teen Reading List (by teenreads.com)
- Kirkus Reviews Best Teen Books of 2013 - Kirkus is one of the best know book review magazine/website.
- Top 100 Teen Books - NPR (National Public Radio) list of 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels. Books were voted on by the NPR public. This is a 3-page printable document listing just the top 100 teen books and the authors. (Produced in August 2012)
- NPR Top 100 Teen Books - NPR list of 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels. Books were voted on by the NPR public. This is a longer document displaying title, author, covers, and summaries of each book.
Test Prep Websites – SAT/ACT
Looking to Prepare for your SATs or ACTs? Try the following websites for tutorials and practice tests.
Don’t read your books – Listen to them instead! Not only can you download eBooks at MPL, but now you can also download Audiobooks. Audiobooks can now be loaded onto PCs, Macs®, MP3 players, and many other mobile devices directly from your computer at home.
Mentor Public Library has expanded its online services by adding “eAudiobooks,” available to download from the library’s Web site through a new service powered by OverDrive. The service is free to patrons with a Mentor Public Library card. Users will need to install OverDrive® Media Console™ a free software found on the library’s Web site. For more information, go to our Digital Library page or call 440-255-8811 ext. 215.