Teen Book Club @ Mentor-on-the-Lake
Hey, teens… why should adults have all the fun? Stop by the Lake Branch for a book club that’s just for you! No tests, no grades–no stress! Meetings are held from 2:00 – 3:30 p.m. on the first Saturday of the month.
From 2:00-3:30 pm on Saturday…
- June 6th, we will be discussing The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater.
- July 11th, we will be discussing The Sweetest Dark by Shana Abe.
- August 8th, we will be discussing Every Day by David Levithan.
For more information Call Ariel J. at 440-257-2512. Click to see the Teen Book Club’s 2015 book list.
May 30 – August 1
Top Chef: Ice Cream Challenge
On Saturday, June 20th from 1-3 pm, gather your team and prepare to beat the competition. Design and name your signature ice cream flavor and then we’ll put your creations through a taste test and vote for the best. Teams can have up to 4 members and there are 5 teams allowed.
This program is free and open to the public, but registration is required. The program will be held in the Garfield Room in the lower level of the Main Library. Register online or call the library at 440.255.8811, ext. 215 for more information.
Super Game Day
Teens! Join us on Saturday, June 27th from 2-4 pm, for a super game day! We will have both an XBox 360 and a Wii set up to play some super games! Don’t like video games? We’ll have board and card games too. Bring your friends, and chill out at the library. Jump between games and rooms to enjoy it all. For grades 7 and up.
This program is free and open to the public, but registration is required. The program will be held in the Village Room in the lower level of the Main Library. Register online or call the library at 440.255.8811, ext. 215 for more information.
Recommended Teen Books
- YALSA Teens’ Top Ten - A “teen choice” list, where teens nominate and choose their favorite books of the previous year!
- TIME’s 100 Best Young-Adult books of All Time – TIME compiled a survey to honor the best best books for young adults. (Produced in January 2015)
- Printz Awards - An award for a book that exemplifies literary excellence in young adult literature.
- The Ultimate Teen Reading List (by teenreads.com)
- Kirkus Reviews Best Teen Books of 2013 - Kirkus is one of the best know book review magazine/website.
- NPR Top 100 Teen Books - NPR list of 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels. Books were voted on by the NPR public. This is a longer document displaying title, author, covers, and summaries of each book. (Produced in August 2012)
Test Prep Websites – SAT/ACT
Looking to Prepare for your SATs or ACTs? Try the following websites for tutorials and practice tests.
Don’t read your books – Listen to them instead! Not only can you download eBooks at MPL, but now you can also download Audiobooks. Audiobooks can now be loaded onto PCs, Macs®, MP3 players, and many other mobile devices directly from your computer at home.
Mentor Public Library has expanded its online services by adding “eAudiobooks,” available to download from the library’s Web site through a new service powered by OverDrive. The service is free to patrons with a Mentor Public Library card. Users will need to install OverDrive® Media Console™ a free software found on the library’s Web site. For more information, go to our Digital Library page or call 440-255-8811 ext. 215.