For one afternoon, Mentor Public Library transformed the Village Room in its Main Branch into the Chews Your Adventure Café.
Our own Chefs Marilyn and Robin gave kids a themed meal and a delicious taste of books that they could borrow from the library, as well.
The chefs read selections from the books on their menu, and each book came with a dish for the children. For example, the children enjoyed:
- seasoned zombie goldfish inspired by My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish by Mo O’Hara
- cheese and pretzel broomsticks inspired by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- boo-tiful bagel bites inspired by Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier
- meatball brain spaghetti inspired by The Mortification of Fovea Munson by Mary Winn Heider
- salami finger sandwiches inspired by Hank Zipzer: I Got a D in Salami by Henry Winkler (yes, The Fonz!)
- flaming hot fire flakes inspired by The Rise of Kyoshi by F.C. Yee
- fox chow inspired by Pax by Sara Pennypacker
- google-eyed jello cups inspired by Thisby Thestoop and the Black Mountain by Zac Gorman
- popcorn balls inspired by Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey
- and fizzy lifting drinks inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best of all, the kids could order any of these books from our Takeout Menu and take them home with them. Nearly every kid left with at least one new book to devour at home.
We host fun programs like this at all of our branches. Peruse our event calendar and see which ones you and your family will enjoy.
By the way, if you’re looking for a personal suggestion from any of our chefs (also known as our children’s library associates,) you can visit the library and they’d be happy to make a recommendation.
After all, they have excellent taste.