Our Tech Services Manager Pam has been sewing masks for those who need it during the stay-at-home order in Ohio. Here are the steps to make her favorite face mask.
1. Using quilting cotton fabric cut 3 pieces:
11.5 inches by 8 inches (outer piece)
7.5 inches by 8 inches (inner lining piece)
4 inches by 3 inches (nose piece)
2. Right sides facing, (this is the patterned side of your fabric together) center your lining piece face down to the top of your outer piece.
3. Sew a ¼ seam allowance. Stitch the top of the inner lining to the outer piece and then stitch the bottom of the inner lining to the outer piece.
4. Flip mask inside out and give it a good press.
5. Fold the long edges of the nose piece in ½ inch, both sides.
6. Fold the nose piece in half and press.
7. Sew the nose piece in the center of your mask by stitching the long edge top and bottom.
8. Referring to the video, iron in three pleats. Give the pleats a good press. Tack pleats down about 2 inches in on each side with a single line of stitching.
9. Make the channels for ties on the side of your mask. Working on the wrong side, take one side fold in half, then fold again, so the channel meets your mask. Stitch channel down, pull ties through channel. Repeat for the other side.