Starting September 5, 2017, it will now be possible to print a 3D object at the Main Branch of Mentor Public Library.
3D printing is the process of making three dimensional solid objects from a digital file.
How does it work?
- Before you 3D Print for the first time, please:
- Make sure the file is in .STL (stero lithograph) format.
- Email your project file, information, and library card number to MPL staff.
- We will email you an estimate prior to printing your model and will let you know the exact price once it has finished.
- Reply and approve the quote.
- Your project will be scheduled to print.
- Pay for and pick up your project within 7 days of completion from the Reference Desk at Mentor Public Library’s Main branch. (If you do not pick up your object, the library will add the cost of the 3D print to your library card.)
What equipment is involved?
- 3D printer: Raise 3D N2
- Filament: PLA (1.75 mm) plastic filament
What do I need to know?
- Your use of the 3D printer is subject to the library’s 3D Printing Procedures and Terms of Service.
- 3D printing is available to anyone 18 years or older with a Mentor Library card in good standing.
- Cost: $1.00 per hour of printing. The Library will round up by the ¼ of an hour (ex: 1hr 9min equals 1 ¼ hrs or $1.25). A cost estimate can be generated prior to printing. This is only an estimate and the exact cost will be determined after the print job is complete.
- File Format: .STL
- Size: Object must be smaller than 10″ x 10″ x 10″
- Filament: Library-supplied. No custom filament or custom colors will be accepted. MPL currently has Black, Blue, Red, and White colored filament.
- Maximum Print Time: 10 hours
- Melting Point: 190 degrees**
- Payment: Credit card, cash or check accepted on pickup of the completed object.***
- Pickup: Upon completion, projects must be picked up from the Reference Desk within 7 days.****
**Be aware that due to the composition and melting point of the filament, projects may not be weather-proof or suitable for some household applications.
***Payment is due upon pickup of the completed project. If a project cannot be completed due to mechanical error on the part of the 3D printing machine, you will not be charged.
****If you fail to pickup and pay for a project within 7 days, the cost of the project will be added to your library card account.
3D Printing Resources:
3D Printing Software or Digital Object Repositories